Wednesday 25 January 2017

My name's Rabbie Burns ... and I want to tell you a story. A true story.

My story, and it is a true story, starts in November 1769, when a Bank was started under the name Douglas, Heron & Co.

Among its shareholders were some of the wealthiest men and the largest landowners in Scotland.

One of its main branches was in Ayr, near where I lived, and we called it the Ayr Bank.

In only 3 years, by June of 1772, the bank had issued £1.2 million in loans. That is success!

It issued its own banknotes.

Very quickly those banknotes amounted to around two thirds of the currency in Scotland.

It meant nearly all of the money in Scotland was based on the promises on those banknotes.

What a success indeed, but how could it become even more successful?

It didn't have enough resources of its own, so it started to borrow from other banks, one in London was its favourite.

It could now expand, and expand, who knew the limits of its success, and the riches in store for its owners?

You probably haven't heard of the crash of 1772, it's a long time ago for you, but put simply a lot of Banks went bust, the favourite Bank in London was one of those that went bust.

That meant the Ayr Bank found it had a very very serious problem – it didn't have enough money to honour all the promises it had made on its banknotes.

What to do?

It asked the Bank of England for help, but the terms were too severe.

So it turned to other Banks, and every bank it turned to refused to help.

So, in August 1773, 3 years after it started the Ayr Bank closed. Bust!

History records that the main reasons for the Bank going bust were:

trading beyond their means;

forcing the circulation of their notes

giving credit too easily

ignorance of the principles of business

and carelessness or iniquity of officers.

Many families in Ayrshire were made penniless by the collapse of Douglas, Heron & Co, the Ayr Bank, my own family included.

But that's hundreds of years ago, ancient history, you will have all learned the lessons in my story, surely?

You wouldn't let it happen again – would you?

You wouldn't just sit and watch while Banks borrow and lend money as if there were no tomorrow – would you?

You wouldn't let Banks issue all your currency – would you?

You wouldn't let Banks make promises you don't know whether they can keep – would you?

No, you in your time, will have learned all the lessons needed – haven't you?

You won't have inequality, with some of the very rich in charge, and getting richer, and the rest struggling to get by.

You won't have anyone in desperate need of a house, or of clothes.

You won't have children going without warmth or even without food

You won't have anyone forced to look for work on the lowest of wages.

No, I am sure you won't have any of such things – you will have learned all of the lessons – you will have changed how the system works – you will never let it happen again – will you?

Your time, your history, your story, will be so so different – won't it?



My poem?

Written on a banknote? No, it's true, it was a Bank of Scotland guinea note.

My life had become a bit hectic, that's maybe putting it mildly to be honest, and I was thinking of leaving Scotland and finding work as an overseer on a plantation in the West Indies.

Here's the poem:

Wae worth thy power, thou cursed leaf!
Fell source o' a' my woe and grief!
For lack o' thee I've lost my lass!
For lack o' thee I scrimp my glass!
I see the children of affliction Unaided, through thy curst restriction:
I've seen the oppressor's cruel smile Amid his hapless victim's spoil;
And for thy potence vainly wished,
To crush the villain in the dust:
For lack o' thee, I leave this much-lov'd shore,
Never, perhaps, to greet old Scotland more.

Now as it happened, I managed to have a collection of my poems published, they became a success, and the rest, as they say, is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment